Laser/modulator EPI Design Engineer
Who we are:
ELPHiC is delivering an industry first and the Holy Grail of high-speed optical communications—integrated high-speed electronics and optical components (lasers, laser modulators, photodiodes, etc.) on a single semiconductor substrate resulting in much, much higher speeds at lower power and lower cost.
ELPHiC’s new class of electro-photonic chips is poised to revolutionize and disrupt the optical interconnect market. Utilizing this new class of chips enables existing optical interconnect systems to be built at much lower cost, new architectures to be deployed that provide significantly higher price/performance and a whole new generation of higher speed interconnect to be built that to date have been impossible.
What we are looking for:
We want a highly motivated, experienced engineers with a proven track record of designing high speed optics for the PON and Data Center markets. There is a never-ending quest for higher speeds, lower power, and higher reliability. ELPHiC is delivering the products that can upend these markets and we are seeking engineers to join our team to make that happen.
Coordinate with laser and modulator device designers to develop the epitaxial growth recipes
needed for the devices to meet the wide range of performance requirements – including output
power, drive voltage, beam characteristics, wavelength, high-speed operation and reliability.
- EPI design includes, but is not limited to, modeling design inputs such as layer thicknesses and compositions, doping profiles, active regions, growth conditions to achieve outputs such as mode profiles, gain spectra, recombination rates, beam divergence and electrical resistance.
- EPI designs must align with the wafer processing and device design technology with high yield Translate designs into EPI growth recipes and interact as needed with external EPI vendors to execute the growths
- For each growth campaign, define, review and rationalize all available calibration and EPI characterization data and feed relevant data back to the external growers
- Work with device designers and wafer process integration teams to launch process runs. Participate in process definition. Support NPI team to analyze/feedback all critical wafer processing, device testing, characterization and reliability data.
- Coordinate any special EPI related analysis to understand performance and reliability such as SIMS, TEM, SEM/EDX, FIB, etc.
- Prepare presentations, calculations, documentation, etc. working into a structured epi release environment.
- Generate key intellectual property (IP) for novel ideas in device design or EPI designs
- Masters/PhD in optoelectronics or other relevant major, together with significant laser/modulator industry experience
- Experience with numerical quantum well modeling tools and experience and the ability to
come up to speed on Lumerical/Comsol/Matlab
- Working knowledge of key materials parameters for barriers and wells—e.g. bandgap energy, band edge discontinuity, lattice constant, PL, etc. as a function of doping and temperature
- Referenceable expertise in high speed dynamics and carrier transport relevant to MQW structures
- Referenceable expertise in high speed transmission devices (25G and higher)
- Knowledge of semiconductor device physics, laser diode testing/characterization and wafer growth/process technology
- Experience with semiconductor wafer analysis such as photoluminescence (PL), EPI defects and haze scans, X-Ray diffraction (XRD), SIMS, CV profiling, TLM structures, etc.
- Direct experience with MBE or MOCVD growth of III/V semiconductor material preferred, and ideally experience with InP based edge-emitter lasers or modulators
- Experience with software data analysis tools (e.g. Excel, JMP, Minitab) and data processing (e.g. Python, Matlab) preferred
- Excellent ability to work in cross-functional teams as both a team leader and a contributor
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong presentation and documentation skills
Only selected candidates will be contacted.
Send your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org