Senior Optical Device Engineer
Who we are:
ELPHiC is delivering an industry first and the Holy Grail of high-speed optical communications—integrated high-speed electronics and optical components (lasers, laser modulators, photodiodes, etc.) on a single semiconductor substrate resulting in much, much higher speeds at lower power and lower cost.
ELPHiC’s new class of electro-photonic chips is poised to revolutionize and disrupt the optical interconnect market. Utilizing this new class of chips enables existing optical interconnect systems to be built at much lower cost, new architectures to be deployed that provide significantly higher price/performance and a whole new generation of higher speed interconnect to be built that to date have been impossible.
What we are looking for:
We want a highly motivated, experienced engineers with a proven track record of designing high speed optics for the PON and Data Center markets. There is a never-ending quest for higher speeds, lower power, and higher reliability. ELPHiC is delivering the products that can upend these markets and we are seeking engineers to join our team to make that happen.
- Simulate and optimize performance of optoelectronic integrated laser with electroabsorption modulator (commonly known as EML or EAML), using Lumerical and Comsol, coordinating with a team of laser and modulator device designers.
- Design/implement programmatic workflows with above tools.
- Prepare presentations, calculations, documentation, etc. working into a structured release environment.
- Generate key intellectual property (IP) for novel ideas in optoelectronic device design
- Masters/PhD in optoelectronics or other relevant major, together with significant
experience in modeling QCSE electroabsorption in direct-bandgap semiconductors
- Domain expert: demonstrated and referenceable modeling expertise in MQW QCSE, excitons, transport, high optical power effects, saturation, static/dynamic extinction and correlation with experimental results, within the InP materials system
- Working knowledge of key materials parameters for InP-based semiconductor barriers and wells—e.g. bandgap energy, band edge discontinuity, effective masses, lattice constant, PL, etc. as a function of doping and temperature
- Experience in high speed dynamics and carrier transport relevant to MQW structures
- Experience in high speed transmission devices (56GBaud and higher)
- Experience with numerical quantum well modeling tools and experience with Lumerical/Comsol/Matlab. MQW, QCSE within Lumerical.
- Excellent ability to work in cross-functional teams as both a team leader and a contributor
- Ability to follow specific direction and also to take initiative within broader scope of direction
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong presentation and documentation skills
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Experience with numerical optical waveguide modeling tools and experience with
Lumerical/Comsol/Matlab. MODE and FEEM within Lumerical.
- Knowledge of semiconductor device physics, laser diode testing/characterization and wafer growth/process technology
- Experience with Lumerical scripting and sweeps, and programmatic workflow
- Experience with Matlab
- Experience with software data analysis and data processing tools (e.g. Excel, Python) preferred
- Experience with InP semiconductor wafer processing
- Experience with epitaxial growth of III/V semiconductor material preferred
Only selected candidates will be contacted.
Send your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org